Thursday, January 1, 2015

One Word for 2015: Listen

I must admit have a love/hate relationship with New Years Resolutions. 

I love the excitement that a New Year can bring. I love the sense of hope a New Year can bring. I love saying goodbye to the previous year and looking ahead to the next. However, I have found New Year Resolutions to be mostly discouraging. Let's be real. How many of us actually follow through with our lofty goals?

So, a few years ago I gave up.  No more grand aspirations for the new year. No more feelings of failure when the goal is forgotten. No more inspiring new year resolutions only to be forgotten come February.

However, this year I choose a simple word. I choose to embrace this word throughout the year and see what God will do. My word for 2015 is LISTEN.

Listen. 
I choose to slow down and listen to God speak to me. 
To deeply listen to His loving, tender, and powerful words 
And allow them to penetrate my soul.

Listen.
I choose to slow down and listen to my fragile heart.
To purposely listen to my emotions, my joys, and my fears
And allow them to transform my life.

Listen.
I choose to slow down and listen to His creation.
To attentively listen to the birds, the wind, and the trees
And allow them to quiet my mind.

Listen. 
I choose to slow down and listen to those around me. 
To intently listen to other's burdens, joys, and sorrows 
And allow them to enrich my compassion.

Listen. 
I choose to slow down and listen to God speak to me 
To acutely listen to messages of grace, freedom, and peace 
And allow Him to permeate my being.

Listen. 
I choose to slow down and listen.

Listen.

No comments: